Content of the article

At one point Derek Szaflarski was walking up Richmond Street with two friends after celebrating his 27th birthday.

Advertisement 2

Content of the article

Within minutes, the London personal trainer was lying on his back on a pavement, stabbed to death after the briefest of fights with a driver who was upset with the trio for crossing the street.

Two women who saw it all happen testified Tuesday in the Superior Court jury trial of 39-year-old Robert Ashley Williams, who pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in Szaflarski’s death. Krystle Pereira and Shawna Oag were returning to Pereira’s car with Szaflarski on May 26, 2018, at bar closing time, when those few moments turned deadly.

Both women were shaken by what happened. Pereira, 32, who had met Szaflarski hours earlier, had a more detailed memory of the stabbings. She told the jury that she suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder after Szaflarski’s death.

Advertisement 3

Content of the article

Oag, 28, who considered herself Szaflarski’s friend, was quiet and closed during questioning by Assistant Crown Attorney James Spangenberg. She had trouble remembering basic events. About 10 minutes into her time on the witness stand, she lost some of her composure.

What is clear from their testimonies is that there was no sign in the hours they spent with Szaflarski before he was stabbed that there would be an eruption of violence.

Pereira testified that she and Oag went out at around 10 p.m. on May 25 at Molly Bloom’s, the popular Richmond Row pub. While seated at a table, Pereira said she saw Szaflarski and told Oag that “someone who was really hot” walked into the bar.

Oag told Pereira that she knew him. Szaflarski came over and told the women he had been out celebrating his birthday for about 2 p.m. at a bar and house party. He had left the party for the pub and none of his friends had followed him there.

Advertisement 4

Content of the article

Pereira said Szaflarski “seemed to have a good buzz.”

Szaflarski stayed with the women and bought their food and drinks, Pereira said. The three walked south to Wink’s, another bar, where they stayed until closing time.

Pereira said they planned for her to drop Oag and Szaflarski off at Oag. The trio walked up the west sidewalk of Richmond. Surveillance video from Molly Bloom and another company captured the scene, with Pereira walking in front and Oag and Szaflarski together, each with an arm around the other.

Pereira’s car was parked on Piccadilly Street. The three decided they would cross busy Richmond Street at this intersection instead of walking north to the traffic lights on Oxford Street.

Advertisement 5

Content of the article

“I thought I had enough time to cross the street,” said Pereira, who was the first to enter the road but a car rushed towards her. She testified that while driving past a white car, Williams yelled something “derogatory” at her through the open window.

“I think Derek said something along the lines of ‘keep driving,'” she said.

Williams stopped the car and exited onto the west sidewalk. Pereira was already on the east sidewalk, while Oag and Szaflarski were still on the street. Williams was in a “position” and flinched as if he wanted to fight. Pereira said she could see something in Williams’ left hand.

Oag attempted to pull Szaflarski to the east sidewalk, Pereira said during cross-examination by defense attorney Chris Uwagboe. Szaflarski spun around and charged at Williams, crashing into a store vestibule.

Advertising 6

Content of the article

“It all happened so fast,” she said.

The videos showed Williams wearing a black shirt before the fight, then shirtless with his shirt in hand after the fight. Pereira told Uwagboe she didn’t see how Williams’ shirt came off and only heard “muffled sounds”.

Szaflarski walked through Richmond towards the women, adjusted his shirt and then collapsed. Blood was gushing out of him, Pereira said. She called 911 while Oag tried to put pressure on Szaflarski’s injury.

Szaflarski was rushed to hospital by ambulance. An hour later, the women learned that he was dead.

Oag testified that nothing unusual happened while the three of them were together at the bars. She recalled “being scared” when the fight was about to start.

She told the jury that she saw a gun “dimly”.

“It went really fast. Before I knew it, it was already over,” she said.

Oag recalled Szaflarski crossing the street after the brief fight. There was blood on the floor and he was walking rather slowly.

“He collapsed and I tried to help him. . . . There was nothing I could do.

Oag is expected to be cross-examined on Wednesday.

[email protected]


Advertisement 1


Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively yet civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments can take up to an hour to be moderated before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications. You will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, if there is an update to a comment thread you follow, or if a user follows you comments. Visit our Community Rules for more information and details on how to adjust your E-mail settings.