Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organization (INSO) is an international NGO that supports humanitarian workers by setting up safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free servicesincluding real-time incident tracking, analytics reporting, security-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff guidance and training.
INSO provides daily support to over 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most dangerous countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands and headquartered in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
Summary of work
INSO is currently in the process of integrating and upgrading its extensive national data repositories from each of our 16 programs into the Conflict and Humanitarian Data Center (CHDC), the innovative, interactive software application designed internally from INSO. With instant access to a real-time conflict activity dashboard, comprehensive incident datasets, and data visualization tools, the CHDC will drive adoption and improve the application of the plug evidence-based decision-making by INSO’s NGO partners regarding security and humanitarian access.
Located at INSO Headquarters, the primary focus of this position is to contribute to the wide range of global analytics outputs for INSO’s NGO partners, in particular the Monthly NGO Incident Overview and Quarterly Review security and access, establishing an internal system for global data collection as well as developing high-quality data visualization products, including maps and graphs.
You will have a strong background in data analysis and visualization combined with a good understanding of spatial data, graphic design tools and information management. You will also possess a flexible, creative and detail-oriented approach while demonstrating your commitment to actively participating in a dynamic new analytical team focused on global products and services.
You will report to the Senior Analyst within the Analysis and Research Team (ART) based at HQ in The Hague. You will liaise and coordinate on a regular basis with the data management team at HQ and with information managers within INSO’s field programs.
- Manage the internal data query and categorization process for global reports (scheduled, custom and research), in coordination with the Chief Information Manager and Data Manager.
- Provide and produce maps and graphs for global analysis reports in collaboration with the Senior Analyst and Research Analysts within ART.
- Develop the graphic design, format and layout of these reports before publication using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Sway and Power BI.
- Identify, document and escalate any in-country data discrepancies or inconsistencies during the production of the global analysis to the INSO Data Manager.
- Coordinate with ART and national programs in the design, development and production of tailored, comparative and thematic analyzes for NGO partners and donor headquarters.
- Provide data visualization support to ART in their presentations or briefings to INSO partner NGOs and donor headquarters.
- Identify and integrate innovative developments in data visualization and analysis to improve the quality of INSO’s products, especially for thematic research projects.
- Cultivate working relationships with INSO Information Managers across all field platforms to enable effective communication channels.
- Offer ad hoc assistance to the Global Communications Manager in collecting and illustrating factual material from all field platforms on INSO’s impact.
- Engage with the Chief Information Officer on matters relating to technical advice, global standards and internal synergies.
- Promote and maintain a clear, consistent and logical structure for internal documentation related to ART.
- Support the management of INSO’s major global registration accounts.
- Join and help maintain and promote the integrity, reliability and consistency of INSO’s data.
- Fluency in English (mandatory).
- Master’s degree in (spatial) data science, information management, GIS or relevant field.
- Technical proficiency in GIS software, such as ArcGIS; presentation and design tools, including Adobe InDesign and Illustrator; data visualization tools, in particular Power BI; and advanced skills in MS Excel.
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively under tight deadlines.
- Passionate about data analysis and data science.
- Pre-existing experience with conflict or crime datasets.
- Experience in security incident mapping.
- Relevant experience working in NGOs, international organizations, think tanks or research consulting firms.
- Experience with ArcGIS scripting.
- Data Analysis Expression Language (DAX).
- Code/script writing.
- Familiarity with SQL, including creating queries and manipulating data.
Key personal skills
- Conceptual, critical and creative thinking
- Management and resolution of complex problems
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Organized and diligent work ethic
- Stimulating and inclusive team spirit
- Cultural and situational sensitivity
- Principled and accomplished professional
terms and conditions
Full-time position based in The Hague, Netherlands, 12 month contract (renewable), 8% vacation allowance (vakentiengeld) and 2.5 days of accrued annual leave per month. INSO will provide Basic Premium ONVZ health insurance. This position may be eligible for Highly Skilled Migrant Visa Sponsorship.
INSO is fully committed to the safe recruitment, screening and vetting of all potential new staff, directors and volunteers and we will ensure strict adherence to our Code of Conduct and Safeguard Policy throughout the recruitment process.
How to register
Please submit your application to [email protected] no later than July 15, 2022 and reference “Information Manager – ART” in the subject line. Applications should be submitted in English and include:
- An up-to-date CV (maximum 2 pages).
- Three examples of your previous work in data visualization and mapping.
- A one-page cover letter explaining why you want to work for INSO and how your qualifications specifically match the skills required for the position.
Please do not send additional information. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to take an online skills assessment test.