Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian relief, sustainable development and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and ensure a strong future. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in over 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a fairer global community , prosperous and fair.
Global Communities responds to the needs of refugees in Turkey and displaced people in northern Syria, providing humanitarian and development assistance through direct implementation and through local partner organizations in the sectors FLS, protection, engineering and WASH.
Global Communities is seeking a Senior Director, Security and Access to join the Humanitarian Assistance team in Gaziantep, Turkey. This role reports directly to the Country Director and will ensure secure access to all focus areas of the Syria Country Portfolio. The Senior Director, Security and Access will be the primary security focal point for Global Communities staff working in Syria and Turkey. The primary responsibilities of this position will be to assess safety and security risks, develop and oversee the implementation of security management plans, oversee reporting, information gathering and training. The position reports to the Country Director and will support all program activities and ensure compliance with relevant donor regulations and Global Communities policies.
This position will be based in Gaziantep, Turkey.
Area of responsibility: Planning and implementation of safety and security assessment
- Act as subject matter expert for all emergency preparedness planning and incident response.
- Provide oversight and management of the safety and security of all Global Communities personnel and assets nationwide.
- Develop strategies to continuously improve and refine security management systems for greater effectiveness and efficiency, taking into account changing project needs, team dynamics and project mission .
- Review and update the Security Management Plan (SMP) quarterly, and more frequently as security developments warrant.
- Ensure that offices have adequate life safety measures and are SMP compliant.
- Oversee, update and test the communication tree.
- Review performance standards and conduct regular evaluations of all local security personnel and guards at all sites of Global Communities operations.
- Make sure drivers and vehicles meet safety standards and requirements.
- Advise on in-country travel for Global Communities staff, including providing information on travel safety and security measures to be taken by staff when travelling.
- Perform security risk assessments for new sites, offices, warehouses, and residences, assessing physical, geographic, social, and structural features that may support or impede the overall safety and security of the facilities or location of ‘a property ; thereafter, provide recommendations for implementing risk mitigation practices and features for each location.
- Develop standard operating procedures, including but not limited to: access to Global Communities facilities, travel procedures, communications, and implementation of minimum security standards.
- Act as a key member of the incident management team.
- Liaise with HQ Global Security Office as required.
Area of Responsibility: Security Information Management and Engagement
- Collect, update, analyze and communicate information regarding the security situation or incidents in the country and more specifically as it relates to global communities or partner operations to the team leader, project staff and the Office global security, as required.
- Track and record security related incidents in Global Communities operational areas.
- Ensure that all safety and security related documents (risk assessments, SMPs, SOPs, incident reports, etc.) are filed appropriately and securely.
- Participate in meetings with INSO and other security focal points/security managers to obtain up-to-date security information.
- Maintain a database of contacts who are the national security authorities of the country.
- Provide security updates at a frequency determined by the Country Director.
- Participate in monthly donor meetings providing a concise briefing on the security and access environment in relevant operational areas.
Area of responsibility: Training and support
- Develop and deliver training to all staff to ensure adoption of Safety and Travel SOPs.
- Develop and deliver training to all national staff on safety awareness, defensive driving, first aid or other priority safety and security topics. If you are not a subject matter expert, identify relevant training sources and recommend personnel to be trained.
- Provide orientation and pre-deployment sessions to all personnel traveling to Syria and Turkey.
- Provide travel recommendations and restrictions to ensure staff receive personal risk mitigation advice specifically tailored to the individual, personal background, region of travel and intended task.
- Provide advice and support to partner organizations, either directly or through program teams, to increase partner capacity in the area of safety and security.
- Support project teams by advising on work plans and access to ensure project plans are aligned with SMP and SOPs as required.
- Work closely with other functional support team leaders including finance, human resources/administrative, operations and program to contribute to ongoing support of program activities and consistent capacity development of partner organizations.
SPECIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote a culture of excellence, inclusion, learning, support, diversity and innovation.
- Visit project sites and partner activities in Syria and Turkey as needed for appropriate support up to 25%.
- Supervisory Responsibilities.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Proven ability to work in a demanding and fast-paced environment, often under pressure in insecure environments.
- Ability to process information and synthesize it for key decision makers.
- Strong intercultural communication skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, coordination skills, analytical skills, interpersonal skills, team management skills.
- Knowledge of humanitarian response coordination architecture, mechanisms and standards.
- Demonstrated understanding and respect for humanitarian principles.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team, in an atmosphere of multiple projects, changing priorities and deadline constraints.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline and a minimum of six years of related work experience or a minimum of ten years of related work experience.
- Minimum of two years of work experience in an unstable overseas environment and/or complex emergencies.
- Experience within an operational NGO highly appreciated. However, equivalent experience including UN, DPKO missions, diplomatic community, donors, national governments and others will be considered.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to gather and analyze information and develop recommendations for action.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and create and implement effective processes, tools, systems and policies.
- English skills required; Arabic or Turkish desirable.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities, and a commitment to fairness and justice.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Global Communities is committed to ensuring a safe and respectful environment for all staff, representatives, partners, participants and anyone with whom Global Communities interacts globally, especially children and at-risk adults.
How to register
You can apply for this position on our website at the following link: https://internationalcareers-globalcommunities.icims.com/jobs/2209/senior-manager%2c-safety-and-access-%28gaziantep%2c-turkey%29/job