A Bundoran-based chef has been handed a suspended prison sentence by Ballyshannon District Court after admitting to having cannabis for sale or supply.

Jakub Beilesza (38) Stracomell Hill, Bundoan pleaded guilty to possession of cannabis for sale and supply, and simple possession there on January 23 last year.

He also pleaded guilty to possession of a Nokia 3310 mobile phone and a silver scale which were used to prepare and sell cannabis.

Inspector David Durkin said Garda Fahey searched the defendant’s residence under warrant.

The accused showed the officer a small amount of cannabis which he said was for his personal use.

Further research uncovered more cannabis, a scale and cash for a total value of €4,230.

The inspector agreed with defense lawyer Gerry McGovern that €1,900 was not part of any drug dealing.

Inspector Durkin said two cell phones linked to drug trafficking were also found.

The inspector said the accused had a “local drug business”.

The accused had no previous convictions.

Mr McGovern said the defendant was a chief who had cooperated fully with gardai, was a married man with children and had no previous convictions.

He had never noticed the gardai before.

He told officers he was “sharing drugs among friends”.

It was a relatively small operation.

Mr. McGovern rightly or wrongly said that there were people smoking cannabis with friends.

It wasn’t a large amount of cannabis, and it was a badge that would stay with him for the rest of his life.

Judge Brendan O’Reilly fined the defendant €500 for simple possession and enforced probation law.

If this was not paid, he would be condemned and fined €1000.

He imposed a fine of €2,000 on the defendant and sentenced him to a four-month prison sentence suspended for two years for selling or supplying.

The charge relating to the possession of a mobile phone and a scale has been taken into consideration.

A destruction order has been issued for the drugs.

Judge O’Reilly told the defendant he had engaged in a senseless enterprise and told him he was lucky he didn’t go to jail.